Happy Holidays from Housters! We hope you take some time to enjoy family, food, and the over the top Housters holiday theme…
Housters 6.1 is LIVE on http://www.housters.com! This is a major release where we redesigned the main dashboard, property dashboards, and tenant dashboards. The new dashboards will make it super simple to see what matters most: who you owe money to, who owes you money, how much money you’ve made, and how much you’ve spent. We’ve also added sections like “Quick Links” and “Jump Back In…” to make it easier to navigate around the website.
We’re excited about this release, and hope you like it as much as we do. As always, let us know what you think!
Full release notes:
– Main dashboard redesign
– Property dashboard redesign
– Tenant dashboard redesign
– Mint Import is now working
– Push notification alerts are now working
– We will no longer send alerts out to disabled subusers
– Taxable Income Report > When filtering by property it shouldn’t show trips
– Various bug fixes
Online payment support has finally made it to Housters!!! The 6.0 release is live on http://www.housters.com, which adds support for sending bank (ACH) payments for various payment flows via our new payment processor, Rotessa.
Supported payment flows:
– Tenants to landlords/property managers
– Property managers to landlord clients
– Landlord clients to property managers
– Landlords/property managers to vendors
To get started with receiving online payments through Housters, go to the Online Payment Settings page (https://www.housters.com/Payments/Settings) and follow the instructions to set up an account with Rotessa. Their monthly fees for processing payments can be found on https://rotessa.com/pricing/. Note that by signing up for Rotessa through Housters, you will get a 30% discount on their fees. For example, if you have 5 tenants paying you rent monthly through Rotessa, the fee will be $6.30 per month ($1.26 per rent payment.)
Once your Housters account is set up for receiving online payments, you can invite your subusers (e.g. tenants) to log in to Housters so they can set up their account for sending payments to you. Both one-time payments and recurring payments are supported. For tenant rent payments, once they settle Housters will automatically generate a rent payment transaction and update the tenant’s rent status in your Housters account. Sending online payments is free for the sender.
Please note that online payments are ONLY supported in the USA and Canada. If Rotessa adds support for more countries in the future then we will obviously open this up in Housters as well.
Housters 5.9 is LIVE, both on http://housters.com as well as the App Store and Google Play Store!!! This was a major release that primarily focused on enhancing the invoicing feature. Previously, a landlord or property manager could invoice a tenant subuser, and a property manager could invoice a landlord subuser. Now a tenant subuser can invoice their landlord or property manager, a landlord subuser can invoice their property manager, a landlord or property manager can invoice their vendor subuser, and a vendor subuser can invoice their landlords and property managers.
Full Release Notes:
– New invoicing feature between vendors and landlords / property managers.
– Enhance existing invoicing between landlords / property managers and tenants to allow tenants to send invoices too.
– Enhance existing invoicing between property managers and landlords to allow landlords to send invoices too.
– Improve design of invoice PDFs.
– Allow branding the invoice PDFs.
– Allow auto-sending invoices not just before but also after a payment is due.
– Allow adding adjustments to closed invoices.
– Add more options to the Add button dropdowns at the top of the list screens.
– Make applicants section more accessible in navigation.
– Make tenant / applicant background checks more visible.
– Update getting started widgets to include all of the latest and greatest features.
– Improve UX when deactivating properties.
– Various bug fixes.
Exciting news!! Housters 5.8, which is a website only release, is now LIVE on http://www.housters.com. This release includes a major redesign of the list screens as well as much more extensive displaying of icons and thumbnails for things like properties, tenants, and transactions. Also included are many features that you all requested, such as daily auto-generation of late fees, customizable vendor types, and being able to associate documents to applicants. Enjoy!
– Redesigned all list screens to better organize the data.
– Display thumbnails next to all properties, tenants, etc…
– Renamed the Collect Rent screen to “Send Invoice”, to better represent what it does.
– Created a new Send Invoice screen for property managers to invoice their landlord clients.
– On the invoice screen, show whether each invoice has been emailed to the tenant or landlord client or not. Clicking on it links to the Send Invoice screen with the appropriate invoice auto-selected.
– Show alert on top of dashboard about using the Taxable Income Report to help with filing taxes.
– Configure auto-generating late fee invoice adjustments each day after rent is due.
– Vendor subusers can now be alerted as to-do list tasks are approaching their due dates.
– The vendor types are no longer hard-coded, you can customize the types.
– Allow associating applicants to documents, e.g. for application documents.
– Add new report option for whether or not to include images.
– Various bug fixes.
Woohoo, another release! Housters 5.7 is now LIVE on http://www.housters.com as well as the Google Play and Apple app stores. The big shiny new feature is push notifications… From the Housters mobile app, head over to the Settings > Notifications screen and choose which Housters alerts you would like to receive as push notifications. Enjoy!!
Full release notes below…
– Android and iOS push notifications for Housters alerts!
– Categorize your to-do tasks into separate custom to-do lists.
– Created a new Branding screen under the Accounts section, where you can customize the branding logo / text at the top of your dashboard, reports, and emails.
– New option on Add Tenant form for logging old security deposit payments.
– When logging a transaction and assigning it to a tenant or landlord, it will prompt asking if they want to add an invoice to bill them.
– The tenant dashboard now shows how many days over or under paid they are.
– For property managers, the landlord dashboard now shows how many days over or under paid they are.
– Improved performance on the Mint import.
– When exporting a report to PDF, it will ask if you want to share the PDF with a certain email address.
– The Occupancy Report now shows a calendar view of when each unit in the property was occupied or vacant.
– Don’t show the user’s billing status on the dashboard if they have an iOS subscription.
– Various bug fixes.
Housters 5.6 is live! This is the biggest release that we’ve had in a long time… When we first rolled out the invoicing feature as the means to track rent or security deposits owed by a tenant, it was easy for the invoices to get out of sync with the tenant’s lease terms and rent payment transactions.
In this release, we’ve remedied that by making invoices read-only rather than allowing you to create, update, or delete them. Every time you add or edit a tenant or their leases, we will regenerate their invoices on each day that rent was due, based on their lease terms. When rent is due in the future, Housters will auto-generate a new invoice, which will make the tenant show as owing new rent. When you save a rent payment transaction, we will automatically update the amount paid on their due invoices up to the rent payment amount. In this way, the invoices will always stay in sync with the lease terms and rent payment transactions. (The same applies to landlord invoices for property managers.)
We’ve also added the ability to create custom adjustments to invoices, for things such as giving a rent discount or charging a late fee. When you add or edit a tenant or their leases and Housters regenerates their invoices, we will preserve any adjustments that you had created and reapply them to the new invoices.
Lastly, for miscellaneous charges to a tenant, we now allow you to create “Other” invoices. These invoices can be created, updated, and deleted, unlike Rent and Security Deposit invoices.
With any update of this magnitude, there are going to be some ramifications. Even though going forward every tenant’s invoices is going to be in sync with their lease terms and rent payment transactions, we had to figure out what to do with the tenants that were out of sync. We decided that the best way to handle it was to keep their rent status the same as before the release, by creating a one-off Rent Payment transaction for the amount they were out of sync by. For example, let’s say that the tenant John Smith has three invoices: $500 due / $500 paid on 8/1/2018, $500 due / $500 paid on 9/1/2018, and $500 due / $500 paid on 10/1/2018. Now let’s say that they have rent payment transactions of $500 paid on 8/1/2018 and $500 paid of 9/1/2018 but they didn’t log a rent payment transaction for October. Housters will create a $500 rent payment transaction so that the tenant still shows as $0 owed, trusting that the rent status was correct.
We hope you enjoy this new release, I believe we’ve finally gotten the rent tracking feature right. For most users, the transition should be seamless. However, if you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.
– No more worrying about lease terms, rent payment transactions, and invoices being out of sync!! Rent and Security Deposit invoices are now read-only, as they will be auto-generated with the correct amount due based on the tenant lease terms. Their paid amounts will be auto-updated when payment transactions are saved, which will update the payment status of the tenant.
– Allow creating “Other” invoices for things like pet deposits or one-time charges.
– Add adjustments to invoices, e.g. late fees and discounts on rent.
– Improved Invoice List to be more readable.
– Customize the subject line of the Collect Rent email.
– New filters on recurring transactions list.
– Filter reports by only owned or only managed properties. (Property Managers only)
– Only auto-generate late fees for active leases.
– Various bug fixes.
Housters 5.5 has been released on http://www.housters.com! This is a minor release, featuring improvements to the list pages and also bug fixes. The 5.6 release will be much bigger, completely overhauling the system we use for tracking tenant’s rent statuses and guaranteeing that tenant lease terms and rent payment transactions stay in sync with the rent invoices.
– On list screens, show custom filters set outside of Search Options box.
– Persist list custom filters across page loads.
– Add Load More button to Trip List and To-Do List.
– Be smarter about how we set the default date ranges on each list, based on the data available.
– Added South African currency support.
– Allow exporting individual invoices to PDF from the Invoice List.
– Various bug fixes.
Housters 5.4 is here! This release was all about making it easier to keep your invoices and rent payment transactions in sync. We have also introduced a new landlord subuser account type that can be invited by property managers. Enjoy!
– Implemented better ways to keep invoices and rent payment transactions in sync when adding, editing, and deleting invoices and rent payment transactions
– New landlord subuser type that property managers can invite to Housters to view their reports, tenant rent statuses, to-do lists, etc…
– Added new ways for property managers to keep their landlord invoices and property management fee payment transactions in sync
– Can now add up to 10 property photos
– Allow mass deleting transactions
– Fixed paid through date calculations
– Added Peruvian currency support
– Various bug fixes
Good news! Housters version 5.3 has been released on the website and will make its way to the mobile apps soon. This release focuses on making it easier to keep your invoices in sync with your payment transactions, as well as more powerful customizations for auto-generated mortgage payment transactions. Let us know what you think…
– When adding or editing an invoice and inputting an amount paid, prompt to add a rent / deposit payment transaction automatically
– When adding a rent or deposit payment transaction, if Update Invoices is on then show preview of the invoices to be updated and the new tenant rent status
– When editing a rent or deposit payment transaction and increasing the amount, prompt to update invoices
– Allow sending rent or deposit payment receipt when editing a transaction, not just on add
– Transaction imports from Mint and Excel now support the Update Invoices and Send Payment Receipt options
– Property’s auto-saved mortgage payment transactions can now be fully customized in terms of which transaction types to use for principal, interest, pmi, and escrow amounts
– Support bi-weekly mortgage payment terms
– On the transaction list, there is a new option for duplicating a transaction
– Changed verbiage of property modes to Single Unit and Multi Unit so it makes sense for both Residential and Commercial properties
– In user preferences there is now a setting for whether or not to auto-save an expense transaction for the Housters monthly billing
– Trips are now restricted by the Manager subuser’s Accounting permission
– Add link to tenant background screening order to top menu
– Various bug fixes